Monday, July 9, 2012

Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenge

I'm going to participate in Bailey from IB Book Blogging's mini-challenge--mainly because it's a fun challenge, but also because I've only read one of the books that Loretta from Between the Pages asks about in her challenge. Bad blogger!

If you're participating in the read-a-thon and want a chance to win a book from Bailey's ARC pile, create your own post answering these questions and link up your post to the linky.

Question 1:

What is your favorite cover that has been revealed this summer and why?

I have to say that my favorite cover reveal has been J. K. Rowling's book The Casual Vacancy. Not because the cover is amazing, but because it is so NOT what anyone expected.
Even the blurb is kind of meh, so I can't help but wonder what is up her sleeve.

Question 2:

Do you rely on the cover to help you choose whether you want to read a book or not?

I definitely rely on covers to decide what to read--especially when I'm at a bookstore and mainly because it attracts my attention. I would say that covers probably sway me more for YA books than for regular fiction, since the designs are often so different. There's a reason so many YA books have girls in pretty dresses---it's because pretty dresses attract my attention!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting choice of covers! And now I am intrigued as well!

    And I think pretty dresses attract everyone's attention. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a MAJOR weakness for dresses in my own life, so it's only strong for fantasy!

      Delete
  2. I don't read much YA but agree that on the whole, YA books have better covers than adult books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just generally seem to have a completely different type of design than that of regular fiction. I couldn't say this with certainty because I haven't looked at it very closely, but it's as if they use bolder images--in subject, size, placement, and color palettes. (I read mostly YA sci/fi-fantasy, so I feel relatively confident I'm right about that subgenre, anyway). For whatever reason, it works for me (visually, at least--it's not really at an indicator of quality). I suspect a marketing conspiracy!

      Delete
  3. Covers certainly play a part in what I will pull off the shelf in a bookstore and take a closer look at. Content though will determine whether I decide to read the book though. A pretty cover isn't enough on its own to make me want to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely agree with that. They definitely have the effect of gaining my attention more readily, but it still has to sound interesting for me to take it home.

      Delete