Friday, June 22, 2012

TGIF: Author Celebrities

Thanks to Ginger at GReads for hosting this meme!

Today's Question:


Authors are our celebrities: Have you ever contacted an author you admired? How did that experience go? If not, which author would you love to chat with?


I haven't contacted any authors specifically (I seriously never know what to say), but I have met a few briefly at book readings/signings. I've met Melissa Marr, Kelly Armstrong, Jasper Fforde, Alexi Sherman, and Michael Cunningham. At least those are the ones I'm remembering off the top of my head. I barely remember speaking to Jasper Fforde because that was my first book signing ever and I LOVE him--he was insanely charming and hilarious and I was utterly star-struck.

I do know one author personally, Darcie Chan, who wrote The Mill River Recluse, which has been a huge straight-to-e-book hit (and is finally getting traditionally published!). We worked together for several years, so I've obviously spoken with her many times. Naturally, we bonded over Harry Potter--she's probably a bigger fanatic than I am! (She also makes AMAZING chocolate cakes!)

There are two authors that I would LOVE to have a one-on-one with. First, Lois Lowry, because her book The Giver has been one of my favorite books since childhood and only gets better every time I read it. It really started my interest in, and love of, dystopian novels. I have actually seen her speak at the Library of Congress' book festival a few years ago, but I didn't have time to stand in line to actually meet her. I would also love to chat with Rick Riordan because I am a huge fan of the Percy Jackson books, the Kane Chronicles, and the 39 Clues series. I absolutely admire his storytelling ability and how he just understands at a fundamental level how to get kids reading and to teach them along the way. I also saw him at one of the Library Congress' book festivals and I can't tell you how happy it made me to see SO MANY kids jumping up and down for the author of their favorite books.

So those are my picks. What are yours?

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I've heard excellent things about Jasper Fforde's books and I have a copy of one of them somewhere. Hooray for bonding over Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Neil Gaiman speak at Comic Con several years ago (at the Coraline panel). He is just as awesome, funny, smart as you would imagine and to this day it remains my favorite Comic Con memory. Even better than the roller skating Stormtroopers at the Robot Chicken Star Wars DVD launch party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick Riordan can do no wrong in my eyes - and I've been privileged enough to hear him talk. I love that he's able to make children want to read... and he has some pretty darn good books :)

    ReplyDelete