Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Monday!

What are you reading? Shelia over at Book Journey hosts this weekly book meme.

This past week I finished Prized and Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien and reviewed them together.

I also finished Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo and Ship Breaker, by Paolo Bacigalupi. As always, I am woefully behind on reviews, but hopefully I will pull it together this week.

I've been feeling frustrated with the YA books I've been reading lately (which I discussed a bit on Sunday) so I've decided to pick up a few non-YA reads off of my shelf to give myself a break. I don't want to become an angry YA reviewer!

The Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Summary from Goodreads: Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals from its war wounds, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer's son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julian Carax. But when he sets out to find the author's other works, he makes a shocking discovery; someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax's books in existence. Soon Daniel's seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona's darkest secrets - an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

 Dragonquest Anne McCaffrey

Summary from Goodreads: On Pern, men breed and train great fire-breathing dragons to help them fight the deadly silver Threads that fall from the sky, destroying all life-forms, whenever the Red Star passes near.



4 comments:

  1. I think we're all behind on reviews. :)
    I haven't heard of these books but from the summary they sound good. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! The Shadow of the Wind looks really interesting. I look forward to reading your review when you finish it. Happy Reading!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. LOL that's exactly what I said to my friend who introduced me to the series. I was like flesh-eating spores and dragons? Done.

      Delete