Monday, June 11, 2012

It's Monday!

What are you reading?

This is a weekly meme hosted by Shelia over at Book Journey.

The last two weeks, I haven't posted much. But I have excuses! First, I was in Atlanta for a post-graduation vacation--and I got to see whale sharks, people....WHALE SHARKS!!! So amazing. The Librarian and I sat in front of that tank for like an hour just watching them swim by. We did a number of other things, including the Atlanta Zoo, but the whale sharks were really the highlight of the trip.

Then after we got back from this trip last Sunday, I promptly got sick. It wasn't terrible, but I had zero energy pretty much all week long. Despite, not posting much, I have managed to read a couple of books, though I haven't gotten around to writing reviews yet...but I will I SWEAR.

I finished Dragonswood on the trip. It was pretty good, despite a few flaws and confusing moments. I liked the feminist aspect of the books, even if it was a bit uneven.
I also finished City of Lost Souls. While I enjoy reading this series, it really isn't my favorite. I prefer the Clockwork series and its characters much better. Clary and Jace just really annoy me.
I also somehow managed to slog through Pray for Silence. This book is probably the best reason I can give for keeping a blog. If I had been writing reviews when I read the first book in this series, Sworn to Silence, then maybe I wouldn't have picked this one up. (And, you'd think after Fever I would have learned my lesson about mediocre series.) Oh it was just terrible, but I'll save the rant for my full review.
I'm currently re-reading Birthmarked. After having just read books in series I started like two years ago, I'm a little tired of not remembering anything that happened in the first book, so I'm re-reading this one so that I will know what the heck is going on when I pick up Prized. I also still have The Girl of Fire and Thorns and I bought Shipbreaker, Room, and Shadow and Bone for my Kindle, so those are up next.
 Prized, Caragh M. O'Brien

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?
Ship Breaker, Paolo Bacigalupi

In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota--and hopefully live to see another day. But when, by luck or chance, he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life: Strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life...

In this powerful novel, award-winning author Paolo Bacigalupi delivers a thrilling, fast-paced adventure set in a vivid and raw, uncertain future.


Room, Emma Donoghue

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong
 
Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo


Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

2 comments:

  1. Some interesting choices, Prized is intriguing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of Shadow and Bone! I hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete