Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Dragonswood

Teaser Tuesdays is a meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Today's teaser is from a book that is ripe for feminist criticism.

Dragonswood, Janet Lee Carey

Page 11:

"Wedlock--a telling word; women are locked in, the husband keeps the key." I spun around. " Give me a man who never beats his wife or child, who lets his wife ride out when she likes, who buys her ink that she might draw or write, books that she might read, who walks beside her not before her, and does not make her empty his piss pot." Who does not mind that she slips into Dragonswood to see the great old dragons and glimpse the fairy folk, I thought, but did not say. " A man who listens when she speaks and enjoys her conversation, and I will marry."

Dragonswood is set in 1192, obviously its a fantasy, but it has some loosely based historical undertones. I like this quote because I think that, even today, women have to struggle for fairness and equality, since the differences aren't this stark for us. I'm reserving my opinion of the book until I finish (I'm about 3/4 through it). I've read too many teen romance novels with protagonists that start off thinking this is what they want only to then fall desperately in love with exactly the opposite. If that happens in this book, I'll probably have to go back and draw a big fat X through this passage, and then return it to the library. (KIDDING)...(kinda)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome teaser! I think I need to look into this title. I am a new follower. :)

    Reading Lark's Teasers

    ReplyDelete