Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Salon: Why Do I Book Blog?

Since I didn't have a chance to write about this on Friday, I'm doing it now!

Ginger from gReads poses this question:

A Book Blogger is Born: What made you decide to start your very own book blog?


When I first started this blog several years ago, I did it primarily as a way to become involved in the book blog community. At the time, I didn't have a lot of friends who were big readers. They just had different focuses, so I was searching for a way to connect with people who had that particular interest. Being pretty solidly situated in the introvert category and busy with two jobs and grad school, it was easier in many ways for me to join this online community than to search out and befriend people in my area.


I was also driven by a desire to record what I was reading and my thoughts about those books. Despite being an editor who focuses on details as a matter of course (and I revel in getting all the details right), I truly have a terrible memory for details (which makes keeping track of series especially difficult). Goodreads was new at the time, and still serves as an excellent place to record my reading stats, but it wasn't enough. I wanted something that I could point to as mine. Also, it seemed to make publishers think I was legit and getting ARCs was definitely enjoyable as well. Not to mention, it's what got me reading YA, and I am nothing if not thankful for that discovery.


I let this blog fall off for a couple years, for many different reasons, but I regret letting those reasons stop me from doing something that I truly love and being part of a community that has always been welcoming and helpful. Now that I've finally graduated, I have time again to think about nonschool-related things, so I'm determined to rejoin the community. Despite now having many friends who read, including The Librarian and Maggie Cats, I also hope to refine my writing skills outside of the academic world--to find my voice again, if you will.

1 comment:

  1. Large number of people look for this informtion about salons.

    ReplyDelete